Development Diary - How random is random?

8 replies to this topic

#1 LBUncleJoe

LBUncleJoe

Princess of Spain

• The Layabouts
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNew York, far from the city

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hey all!  :heyhey:

We've talked about Collectems featuring some level of randomization, but How random is random? Find out in this highly informational blog post!

#2 Buckley

Buckley

Babby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hi,

I recently learned about Collectems, and I'm excited to play the game when it comes out. Regarding yesterday's post, I think the semi-randomness of the game is a great way to add replayability, and has an added bonus that the game won't be reduced down to following a boring walkthrough.

However, if you plan to add multiplayer to the game, the fact that some collectems might not be available to a save file could mean that some players could play through the game, only to find out that they're at a disadvantage because they don't have access to specific collectem. At the very least, they could find they can't build the team they want.

Imagine you were plaing gen. 1 Pokemon, and made it all the way to the Safari Zone only to find that Chansey isn't in your save. Sure, you could build a team without Chansey, but so much of the gen. 1 metagame revolved around Chansey, that you'd be at a disadvantage. And if Abra and Kadabra also aren't in your game, you have to restart if you plan on playing multiplayer.

Trading could mitigate this problem, if you have a friend nice enough to trade you the collectem you want. But since you mention that the game will be configurable to a degree, perhaps you could allow the player to provide a list of, say, 10 collectems that they absolutely want to make sure are in the game.

This would also be useful even if you don't plan on including multiplayer in the game. Just as people have favorite pokemon, they're bound to have favorite collectems, and this would ensure that they can find their favorites in the game.

Thanks for hearing me out, and good luck finishing up The Legend of Doodle.

#3 LBUncleJoe

LBUncleJoe

Princess of Spain

• The Layabouts
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hey, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

The campaign is our main priority right now, so we haven't given quite as much thought to our multiplayer modes, but this is definitely something we want to be careful about. Since we've got a much larger focus on genetics in Collectems, one idea I had as a way to work around this issue is for the player to be able to "synthesize" any species so long as they have the right genetic materials. Regardless, we'll keep this problem in mind, since we certainly don't want to do anything that would limit the multiplayer.

#4 Buckley

Buckley

Babby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:28 PM

Glad to hear it! synthesizing sounds like an interesting idea.

#5 IRHP

IRHP

Jr. Patrol Leader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Yeah, the synthesizing sounds interesting. I really hope the game at least gets local PvP so we can put our skills to the test against our friends. I know a guy who runs various tournaments and it would be great to see this game in there.

#6 Hinchy

Hinchy

It's The Hinch

• The Layabouts
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLafayette, LA

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

I really hope the game at least gets local PvP so we can put our skills to the test against our friends. I know a guy who runs various tournaments and it would be great to see this game in there.

We definitely plan to allow you to challenge your friends, online and offline! Online can be hard to implement, especially for small developers, but something turn-based like Collectems that doesn't rely on real-time information exchange is much easier to get right, so we're confident that we'll be able to deliver on that feature. Obviously LAN play will work too!

Actually - and don't take this as gospel because plans are alllll up in the air - right now we're toying with the idea of having our first beta release of anything Collectems be a standalone pure multiplayer battling thing.

That way we'd be able to get testing and feedback for the battle system - and, if we're lucky, maybe even start to see a metagame and community start to form - while we're developing the singleplayer world and campaign, so that by the time we're done with it, the battle system will be fine-tuned and fleshed-out.

Once again though, don't quote me on this! We haven't made any concrete plans yet.

sig.gif

#7 IRHP

IRHP

Jr. Patrol Leader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:01 PM

Just hearing that it has any multiplayer is such a huge bonus, but online? That's just great!

I really think your multiplayer beta idea would be extremely beneficial to the quality of your multiplayer component.

What's the word on cross-play? Maybe I'm getting greedy now, haha.

Thanks for the info!

#8 LBUncleJoe

LBUncleJoe

Princess of Spain

• The Layabouts
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

What's the word on cross-play? Maybe I'm getting greedy now, haha.

Too early for us to say for sure, but we'd love to have cross-play as much as you would!

#9 Hinchy

Hinchy

It's The Hinch

• The Layabouts
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLafayette, LA

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:29 PM

Cross-play is a tricky thing to work around. At the very least I am confident that all home computer (Windows/Mac/Linux) versions of the game will be interoperable, and the PlayStation versions will do the same with each other.

As for cross-platform compatibility between both of those platforms, or any other platform, i'd go ahead and give it a solid "probably impossible for us". (As nice as it would be.)

sig.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)